Keypad locks can be used with access codes. These codes are simply entered via the keypad to unlock your door.
As you know, most of these locks allow users to create multiple access codes—and we want to find out if these codes can be changed/removed afterward. Here we go!
The short answer to this question is yes. Virtually all keypad door locks—notably Schlage, Kwikset, and Yale locks are configured to allow users to create and change access codes via the keypad and/or the mobile app.
To perform this action, however, you’ll need to first enter the lock’s programming code to gain administrative access. The programming code is the default 4 to 6-digit code that comes with most smart locks, which you’re advised to change after installation.
Note: Some keypad locks have a programming code on the back. Make sure you write it down before installing.
That said, if you’d like to learn more about changing your keypad door lock Continue reading to learn more about access codes and how you can keep them safe from burglars.
How to change the access codes for keypad door locks
In this section, we’ll walk you through the process of changing entry codes on your keypad/electronic door locks—using SchlageYale, Kwikset and Kwikset locks. Let’s begin.
Change/Deleting User codes on a Schlage keypad lock
- Step 1 Enter your 6-digit programming code via keypad
- Step 2: Hold the button down Schlage button and press the number 2 button on your lock’s keypad—simultaneously. The Schlage button can be found at the top of the keypad—a little above the number pads.
- Step 3 Step 2 will cause the Schlage button’s flashing and beeping to go off three times. Enter the code to change/remove. The Schlage button flashes three times to show that the command was received.
- Step 4: Re-enter the code to confirm. After a prolonged period of time, the Schlage button will sound a second time. Then, the green flash will indicate that the code has been successfully removed.
You can create another code in order to replace the one you have deleted.
And if you want to temporarily disable all user codes, here’s how:
Enter your 6-digit programming code, then press the Schlage button. All user codes will temporarily be disabled. You can reactivate the codes by repeating the same process—Schlage button + key 4.
You can also delete all user codes simultaneously by pressing the Schlage button and key 6 on the lock’s keypad.
Continue reading: The BEST Commercial Keypad Door Locks. We tried the top keypad door locks for commercial locations and here’s what we found!
Changing Schlage Keypad Lock Programming Code
It is important to note that programming codes are different from user codes. This code allows you to access all settings, including the ability to change or create new codes. It’s simply your lock’s master code.
Your lock comes with a default programming code, which you’ll need to change for security reasons. So here’s how to do that:
Kwikset Smart Lock: Changing Access Codes
- Step 1 Press the Program button on your lock’s keypad. This will trigger five flashes, beeps, and beeps. check mark.
- Step 2: Press the check mark.
- Step 3 Press the lock button to enter your master password.
- Step 4: Repress the lock button and enter the code to be deleted.
- Step 5 You can press the lock button again to enter the code you wish to remove.
- Step 6: For the final time, press the lock button and wait for the program to complete.
If the checkmark is successful, it will flash with a sound. Otherwise, you’ll see three flashes and beeps from the X pattern. Start the process again, making sure to enter the correct master code.
Also, if successful, test the deleted code to be sure it doesn’t unlock the door.
Yale Smart Lock Access Codes:
- Step 1: Ensure the keyboard is active—you can wake it up by touching it with the palm of your hand.
- Step 2: Enter your master code, and then press the hash key.
- Step 3: Press both the hash and the number 2 buttons.
- Step 4: Now, press the number three button and hash.
- Step 5 Select the user code slot—1 to 20. That’s the user code to be removed.
- Step 6: To complete the process, press on the hash button
Note: The procedure for adding and removing user codes may well differ slightly depending on your lock’s model. Refer to your user manual to find a more detailed explanation.
How often should I change codes on my Keypad Locks?
To improve security, you should update your codes every month. If you notice any of the following, change your codes immediately.
1. Contractors can share the same code
Perhaps you hired contractors to work on your home. This is perfectly normal. However, you need to quickly change the codes after the contract has ended.
It might not be a direct threat to your home’s security, but who knows? After the contract is signed, make sure you change your codes to block any loopholes.
2. Moved into a New Home
As you are likely to know, you should inspect the doors as well as the locks when you move in to a new home.
Security reasons require that you make sure your doors, windows and locks are in good working order. It is also a great idea to change the existing user codes if smart locks are installed in your new home.
If your smart lock comes with a keyhole, make sure you check that the keys are still in order. It is possible that the spare keys are stolen and that you need to replace them.
3. Security Alerts
Also, some smart locks with built-in alarms will notify you when there’s a forced/unauthorized entry—such as using the wrong codes.
If you were suspicious that the thief was trying to guess your username codes, please change them immediately.
4. Relationship breakdown
You want to ensure that no one can access your account, regardless of how you ended the relationship. If you have given user codes to your boyfriend or ex-girlfriend, modify or delete them immediately.
The same applies to any friend you fell out with—who previously had access to your home via locks user codes.
All in all, always change codes for those that are leaving and reassign when they’re back.
Based on your smart lock’s configuration (if it comes with a mobile app), you can create and change user codes via the app. As mentioned, changing user codes may differ depending on your lock’s brand and model, ensure you refer to the guidelines on your manual for further help.